Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Sharing the Struggles

Day 191

My association with church and religion has been a complicated and many-faceted one over the years. My relationship with God began in my teens and has grown through countless seasons of life--some pretty and some not so much. Ministry has been, in some ways, my greatest joy and, in other ways, my greatest pain. I have had the privilege of helping people discover God's love, mercy, and grace for themselves. I have taught from scriptures and applied timeless Biblical truth to life in ways that have enabled people to grow closer to God and love others. I have also suffered inhuman levels of abuse at the hands of people who claim to love and follow Jesus. I have been lied about, lied to, ridiculed, mocked, plotted against, betrayed, cussed, dismissed, ignored, and marginalized--all within the walls of the church.

My philosophy of ministry has never exactly jived with the church establishment. Maybe it's the "crazy", but I have always struggled with the idea of fixing, improving, changing, and saving people with religion. I see Jesus differently. My goal has always been to try to be authentic, open, and truthful as I build relationships with people inside and outside the church walls. I believe that the Apostle Paul spoke to this in the book of Philippians.

In verse 14, after he shared about how the strength of God enabled him to live whether in want or in plenty, he states, "Still, it was good of you to share in my struggles." The point is that the power of God, the strength of God, the mercy of God, the grace of God, the love of God and so on will be experienced when we care enough to simply share in each other's struggles.

That's one of the things that I hope to accomplish through this blog. I want to write openly, authenticly, and truthfully in an effort to share in the struggles of others and allow them to share in mine. This is how we win. So, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU to all who read these words. Please know that somewhere there's a guy who regularly prays for everyone touched by the "crazy". You are remembered, appreciated, supported, and loved. Hang in there.

1 comment:

  1. I resonate with your philosophy of ministry, of sharing in each other's struggles. This is where I find God--in connections with other people and in the healing power of compassion and kindness. The idea of coming in the form of a man, who shares in our lives and sufferings, is a wonderful image of this healing power.

    ReplyDelete