Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Real Shrink Day

Day 81

I saw Doc Brown, the real deal shrink, today. This guy is the big guns, Kids. He had a background in aerospace engineering before he decided to become a board-certified psychiatrist who specializes in the administration of medications to "crazy" people. I didn't see any flux capacitors, but he definitely knows his stuff. He verified that I am on the right medications, but the wrong dosages. My Zoloft is going from 50mg to 100mg. He also added some Ambien to help me sleep. So it looks like, starting tomorrow, we get to have more fun with side-effects. He says that the median dosage of Zoloft is 150mg and that people with serious OCD often require more than that. We'll see how it goes. I see him again in two weeks to evaluate the situation. At that visit we see how I'm tolerating the new dosage and we discuss the possibility of adding a psycostimulant to deal with my ADHD.

Speaking of ADHD, I asked him how in the world a person can have one disorder for which the treatment is organization and routine and another disorder where organization and routine are the problem. He told me to look at it like this. Perhaps the channel changing in my head caused by my ADHD was severe enough t0 cause my brain to hyperorganize and over-routine in order to compensate. The goal of treatment heading forward will be to gain a balance of meds that handle both conditions allowing me to function like "normal" people. Just think, Papa, if this works, I could be a real boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment