Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Check Up with Doc Brown

Day 1012

I had a check up with Doc Brown the other day. You remember him, right? He's my shrink.  Anyway, he adjusted my meds to get me back on track. How did I get off track? Well, for that story I have to go back to summer (when I should have been posting, but wasn't).

I see Doc Brown every three months or so and two visits ago, I was feeling pretty good. So good, in fact, that I asked if I could back my Zoloft down from 150 mgs to just 100 mgs. He said I could if I wanted to, so I gave it a try. Despite the fact that this summer was extremely difficult emotionally, I faired relatively well - until fall came.

From the first cloudy cold snap I began to struggle. The anxiety seemed to ramp up daily, I couldn't focus at all without the Concerta, and depression was creeping in. Productivity was a daily obstacle. I floated from bits of this project to bits of that one - never actually completing anything (and when you work in marketing - an industry fueled by timing and deadlines - that's really bad). I could feel a complete freak out looming and I knew I had to head it off.

God bless Doc Brown! When I shared these things with him, he assured me that getting back on track was easily done. He increased my Zoloft back to 150 mgs and we discussed other options such as light therapy. I also informed him of some relaxation audio that I've been using lately and he agreed that this was a good idea.

I also told him of a special mission that I am undertaking in the spring. I have been inspired by my best friend, Tim, who recently completed his first triathlon as a gift to himself for his fortieth birthday. I turn 40 next July, so I've decided to hike a section of the Appalachian Trail to celebrate. Fortunately, Tim has agreed to hike it with me. Doc Brown believes that this will be very beneficial for me and I think he's right.

I will keep you informed on the progress of my AT (that's big boy hiker talk for Appalachian Trail) training and planning. For now, I have been on the increased dosage for two days. No real change yet, but it's supposed to take a week or so to build back up.

I think it's important to mention that I don't feel defeated or set back in any way because of this. My decision to reduce my dosage was not an attempt to eliminate the medication. I used to think that if I could get off the meds, I would be well. I don't measure wellness like that anymore. The meds are there to help me and they need to be what they need to be. I measure wellness by the quality of the life I live from day to day and the quality of the life that I contribute to those around me. The meds are simply tools that I use to make wellness happen.

What experiences have you had with adjusting your meds? Leave a comment below and share.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you put it: "meds are simply tools that I use to make wellness happen." I stumbled on your blog Googling for a LotR quote, but I got sucked in to reading a couple of your posts because I liked your writing style. I hope you can post more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I appreciate your kindness and encouragement. I'll see what I can do about writing some more posts.

      Greg

      Delete