Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Super Power Number 1

Day 469

Viewing the elements of my OCD as super powers has significantly changed my outlook on life. I now look for ways to use my amazing abilities to help people. The best part is when they don't know about the "crazy". They only know that I can be a handy guy to have around. I've learned that, many times, other people don't see it as an illness as long as I don't.

The other side of the coin is that I've got this Greatest American Hero thing going on. I've got the suit and the powers, but learning to use them for the good of mankind is its own adventure. But the great part about writing a blog is that you get to tag along.

Ok, so let's take a look at exactly what my powers are. The first thing that comes to mind is an ability that I've found to be common among OCDers. It is supernatural Resilience. Seriously, how many of us have survived a stress load that would have leveled normal people and, yet, we're still kicking.

I had an in-depth discussion recently on Facebook with some close friends about the top ten superheroes of all time. We deliberated extensively about what criteria should be used to measure these titanic icons. Many factors were weighed and debated, but one thing we all agreed upon was resilience. A top notch superhero absolutely must be hard to kill. Using that criteria alone, we OCD folks qualify in spades.

I believe that Resilience, more than anything else, is what sets us apart. After 36 years of anxiety, fear, and the shear burden of literally thousands of daily rituals I found myself losing my grip on sanity, but I never considered giving up.

All through grade school, middle school, high school, and college I endured being misunderstood, misdiagnosed, and mistreated. I simply absorbed inhuman amounts of abuse and ridicule from employers, teachers, coaches, and even pastors. But it never occurred to me to quit.

I've been knocked down more times than I can count and I always get back up. In the old days I assumed that it was my job to swallow the sin for other people. And regular beatings were part of the deal. That was before I realized that I could be more than an emotional dumpster for the issues of others.

Now I see myself more like Rocky Balboa. I've taken beatings that should have killed me, but (start the inspiring theme music here) now I'm coming back. I have balance, I have strength, and I'm hard to kill.

So take heart, my friends. (climbing the steps now) What does not kill us really will only make us stronger. (building up steam) I have my meds. (taking the last rows two at a time) I have my Coach. (reaching the top) I have the support of my family and friends, but most importantly (jumping up and down like I just knocked out Godzilla) I have Resilience! (big high note before the camera freezes with me in mid-air)

And that's just some of what heroes are made of.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment