Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

First Snow

Day 280

"Normal" has never been a term that fit me. "Creative," "Fascinating," "Strange," "Gifted," "Weird," "Odd," "Rebellious," "Recalcitrant," or "Crazy," but not "Normal." However, even people who have "Crazy" going on, often follow patterns that some may call normalities. Battling increasing amounts of anxiety and depression during the winter months is one of those things. I can't even get this right.

I love winter. I like cold weather. I live for snow. Don't get me wrong, I fight the frozen blues like many other folks, but not until late January or early February. October through December is my favorite season. And today I received one of my favorite gifts - the first snow.

Nothing beats the first snow. It's just cold enough to make flakes, but not so cold that you feel miserable. You can feel the crystallized confetti kiss your face. You can taste it on your tongue as the first snap of icy chill clears the pollen out of your head and wakes you up from the decongestant fog of summer.

Yeah, the sky is gray and the trees are bare, but God is sprinkling the powdered sugar of heaven all around you. The steam rises from your favorite stone mug as you pour in the first hot chocolate of the season. Cold on the outside, but warm on the inside. It sure beats living the other way around.

To those of you who are experiencing very real increases in your struggles as winter sets in, please know that my thoughts are with you. Gray skies and holiday stress can combine for a nasty cocktail. Let's hang in there together, take our pills, say our prayers, and survive one day at a time. You might also try playing in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment